Recipe by ARB 4X4 Culture
- 2 cups smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1kg chicken thighs
- olive oil
- Preheat a hotplate over a campfire or bbq, making sure it is kept at a very low heat.
- Mix together all ingredients except the chicken thighs and olive oil, you should end up with a thick, sticky paste.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towel.
- Using your hands, smear the paste over the chicken thighs. It doesn’t matter if they aren’t evenly covered, just try to get all the paste over the chicken.
- Ensuring the hotplate is not too hot, add enough olive oil to cover the plate and then add the chicken thighs. Because of the honey and sugar in the recipe, the sauce can easily burn so make sure you keep the heat low. Cook the thighs for around 10 minutes and then turn (try not to turn more than once as you will lose all the crispy, peanutty goodness on the outside).
- Once the chicken thighs are cooked through, transfer to a plate. Give the remaining peanut sauce on the hotplate a good stir and spoon over the chicken.
- Serve with mac & cheese or baked potatoes.
- Serves six to eight hungry campers.