Article from WhichCar
A delicious dessert that’ll please both the old and young.
THIS easy and delicious dessert will be a hit with kids and grown-ups alike. A rollup filled with cream cheese and blueberries (or sliced strawberries) and tossed in cinnamon sugar… what’s not to like?
Serves: 4 (2 rollups each)
2 large eggs
2 tbsp milk
½ tsp vanilla essence/extract
A pinch of nutmeg
1 cup of sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter
8 slices white sandwich bread (no crust)
½ cup (125g) cream cheese (softened)
½ cup fresh blueberries or sliced strawberries
Prep: 10-15 mins
Cook: 5-8 mins
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg, then set aside while you prepare the rollups.
- In a small container, mix the sugar and cinnamon, then pour on a plate and set aside.
- Use a rolling pin or drink bottle, gently flatten each piece of bread to make it less than 6cm thick. Be careful not to break the bread apart.
- Spread as much cream cheese as you want along the bottom edge of each piece of bread, then top with a row of blueberries or sliced strawberries.
- Roll the bread firmly from bottom to top, making it into a cigar-shape.
- To help seal the end of the rollup, either spread a small amount of cream cheese or brush with some of the beaten egg/milk mixture along the edge.
- Repeat this process with all the slices of bread.
- Heat a large non-stick pan (preferably) and melt the butter over a med/high heat.
- Dip the bread rollups into the egg/milk mixture and roll around so each rollup is coated evenly.
- Lift the rollups out and let a little of the egg/milk mixture drip off, before placing in the pan of melted butter.
- Add the bread rollups around four at a time and cook until evenly golden brown. You’ll need to keep an eye on them and keep turning to ensure all sides are golden. It should take about two minutes per side.
- Don’t have your melted butter too hot or you’ll burn the butter and the rollups. However, there needs to be enough heat to give a nice golden brown finish.
- Remove and place rollups in the sugar/cinnamon mixture, rolling around so all sides are well-coated.
- Serve immediately.
Try adding strawberry jam, cream cheese, lemon curd, or fruit cheese. You could use frozen berries, but ensure you pat them dry on some paper towel before using or they’ll make the bread soggy. Nutella, peanut butter and banana slices, caramel and banana slices, or canned apple slices can also be used as filling.