Article from Caravan Industry News
Soup moves from starter to star attractions in this bowlful of beefy goodness. Nutrient rich pearl barley bulks up the dish while tender chunks of beef add protein power.
To Prep: 20mins
To Cook: 2hrs 15mins
Serves: 4 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g lean beef chuck, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 500ml (2 cups) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 80g (1/3 cup) pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 (about 400g) large truss tomatoes, finely chopped
- 300g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
Step 1: Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the beef for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Step 2: Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Stir in the carrot, celery, and onion for 8 minutes or until soft. Stir in garlic and rosemary for 1 minute or until aromatic. Return the beef to the pan.
Step 3: Add stock, water, barley and bay leaves. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, skimming any scum that rises to the surface, for 1 1/2 hours. Add tomato and sweet potato. Simmer for 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Season with pepper.
This is a Taste recipe!