SPAM is sold in virtually every grocery store Australia-wide, and we’ve found it easy to get wherever we go, making it an ideal camp food.
340g can of Spam
1 cup of plain flour
A pinch of salt
½ cup milk or beer
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 3-6 minutes per batch
– Make the batter mix by combining all the batter ingredients in a bowl. It should be a thick mixture to coat the Spam.
– Cut the Spam into 7-8 thin slices and pat dry.
– Heat the oil in a pan until it’s hot. You’ll need enough to give a good cover in the bottom of the pan.
– Dip each slice into the batter mix and then drop carefully into the oil.
– Shallow fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp.
– Drain on paper towel and serve with mashed potatoes.
CRUMBED SPAM SLICES
1 cup plain flour
2-3 beaten eggs
1½ cups panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
– Place flour, eggs and panko crumbs into three separate dishes.
– Dip each slice of Spam first into the flour then into the beaten eggs, making sure it is evenly coated.
– Drop the slice into the crumb mix and spoon crumbs over the top.
– Press down before turning over, and then spoon more crumbs over the top and press down again.
– Shallow fry until golden brown on both sides.
Here are a few ideas to make the most out of a can of Spam:
– Add it to a potato salad – cut into small cubes.
– Add it to fried rice – cut into cubes and sauté until browned.
– Add it to scrambled eggs – cut into cubes and sauté until browned.
– Add it to spaghetti carbonara – cut into cubes and sauté until browned.
– Add it to a couple of fried eggs – just slice it and fry it.
– Add it to a few slices of pineapple – slice it and fry it with the pineapple.
This article was originally posted by 4X4 Australia.