Stinger onion rings
Crispy onion rings in a stinger of a batter Article by RV Daily Magazine Ingredients 2-3 large brown onions 1 can of beer 1¾ cups white self-raising flour ½ cup cornflour 2 teaspoons honey 1½ …
Crispy onion rings in a stinger of a batter
Article by RV Daily Magazine
- 2-3 large brown onions
- 1 can of beer
- 1¾ cups white self-raising flour
- ½ cup cornflour
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1½ tablespoons hot paprika (or 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1 tablespoon sweet paprika can be used)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder (Keen’s)
- 1 level tablespoon salt
- Canola oil
- Sift together the flours and dry spices in a large bowl.
- Pour in the beer and honey and whisk together. Leave to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Peel and slice the onions into rings about 1cm wide and separate them into a bowl.
- Place your camp oven over a gas flame and pour in a couple of inches of the canola oil.
- Heat the oil on high until a drop of batter sizzles and floats – you need the oil hot.
- Dip individual onion rings into the batter, shaking off the excess. Drop carefully into the hot oil and fry until golden, for about 2-3 minutes, turning once.
- Cook in batches; don’t overload the oil.
- Drain on paper towel, sprinkle with a little salt if preferred and serve immediately.