Who says you can’t have a five-star breakfast in the bush?
Article from RV Daily
Time: 30 minutes
- 8 thick slices tank loaf bread or fruit loaf
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups mascarpone cheese, cold
- 2 ½ cups strawberries, blackberries or raspberries
- 2 tablespoons strawberry, blackberry or raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup maple or golden syrup or molasses
- Cooked bacon rashers to serve
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, sugar, egg, cinnamon and half of the vanilla essence.
- Using another bowl, stir together the mascarpone, the rest of the vanilla and jam. Spread the mix thickly over four slices of the bread, then top with the other four slices to form sandwiches.
- In a small pot, cook the syrup and berries together over medium heat. Cover and simmer gently for five minutes until the berries become soft, stirring occasionally to break them up. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat a large heavy-based frying pan over coals or a gas stove, and melt a knob of butter to grease it.
- Either one or two at a time, dip each sandwich in the egg and milk mix, coating well; then fry for a few minutes each side until nicely browned and crisp.
- Serve with some bacon rashers and berry syrup poured over the top.